Family loses everything in fire at Noordwyk house

A fire gutted a Noordwyk house.

The Mtikane family from Noordwyk lost everything in a fire that gutted their house and all of its contents last week.

The three male occupants of the house at the time smelled smoke and when they went to investigate, they found that the couch was on fire.

The fire left devastating effects.

They tried to it extinguish it, but the fire spread quickly, and when they discovered that the doors would not open, they smashed the windows to get out. They said this saved their lives.
The City of Joburg’s Emergency Management Services spokesperson, Robert Mulaudzi said, “The call to the city’s fire department came in at 4.45pm on Thursday.

“At around 4.50pm, the first fire engine was on scene and the second fire engine was on scene at 5pm, which is within our 15 minutes response time required.”

In response to comments that the fire hydrant was nowhere to be found, Mulaudzi said, “We had a water tanker on the scene so we didn’t have a problem with the water supply.”

Reacting to the comments regarding the shortage of fire engines in the city, Mulaudzi said, “It’s not a new story. We have said it before on all media platforms that we have a shortage of fire engines throughout the city. Our vehicles are very old and that’s the reason why they are always at the workshops being repaired instead of being on the road servicing our residents.

The matter is receiving attention at the highest level to make sure that we have new fire engines. In the meantime, we are doing our best with the respiratory as we have to render effective professional emergency services at all times. We also want to reassure the residents that we are capable of rendering effective emergency services to all our residents of the city.”

The incident led to discussions among various community and citizen groups in Midrand who supported the establishment of a local disaster management group which could respond quickly to emergency situations in Midrand such as this one.

Ward committee member Otto Ramokoka unloads donations of food and clothing.

In a true show of community spirit, Midrand residents came out in numbers to show their support for the fire victims, by handing over donations of clothes, food and solar lights. A plumbing company donated and installed a geyser while others helped to clear the debris and burnt section of the roof and interior.

Ward 112 councillor Madeleine Hicklin said: “Thanks have to be expressed, in particular, to the regional director of Region A, Abigail Ndlovu and Nompumelelo Mthethwa and Jeffrey Mahlangu of Pikitup for ensuring that two skips are being delivered to the house on Friday, 13 October, to be collected on Monday, 16 October. These skips are being supplied free of charge.

“We are also looking at the structural viability of the house. Pending an assessment, I will approach various donors to see what building materials can be sourced to help rebuild the house and restore the dignity of the family.”

Community members who wish to donate items or to assist the family can contact the spokesperson for the family.

Details: Sam 072 224 7347.

Midrand Community Policing Forum Sector 3 volunteer Bruce Myerson hands over collected donations.


Talk to us by posting on our timeline Midrand Reporter or tweeting @MidrandReporter

Al Karaki

Latest News


Recommended Story x
Communities in Midrand enjoy Halloween fun

Thanx for your referral. We have no doubt your friends will love our newsletter as much as you!

Don't forget to verify your email.

to our FREE newsletter
SUBSCRIBE to our FREE newsletter.

SELECT your titles:

Alex News
City Buzz
Fourways Review
Joburg East Express
Midrand Reporter
North Eastern Tribune
Northcliff Melville Times
Randburg Sun
Roodepoort Northsider
Rosebank Killarney Gazette
Sandton Chronicle

Your details:

Your friends: